Tuesday, October 13

What I'm up to


I wanted to share a little about my latest endeavor. My mom, friend and I are all doing a 21 cleanse called Standard Process. It was recommended to me by my fabulous chiropractors who have done it several times with great results. My main goal was to improve my sleeping and try to find a little relief from joint pain due to fibromyalgia. The secondary goal was to lose some weight. This particular cleanse is not only known to improve chronic health issues, but also jump start your metabolism, curb cravings and lose weight.

We looked into several cleanses and decided on this one for
the following reasons. First, it was recommended and my chiropractors are resources if I need anything or have problems. Actually there is a group of about 8 of us from the practice who are all doing it together. Second, some of the others I looked at involved liquefying everything you eat and I know myself and I need to chew! Lastly, many of the others involved colonics and enemas and although I was committed to doing this, let's just say... I wasn't that committed.

With this cleanse, you eat only fresh fruits and veggies, brown rice and lentils, for the first 10 days. Then you add in lean protein-- chicken, fish and eggs. You also take supplements and drink two protein shakes a day. And, you drink tons, and I mean TONS of water.

So we all started a week later than the others because I had the H1N1 flu and I didn't want to do this on top of the weakness of the flu.
To be honest I wasn't 100% sure I'd be able to do this... but we're on day 9 now and doing great. I had some serious cravings days 2-4. Day 2 I would have died for chocolate cake and I could have hurt someone for a bagel on day 4! Carbs, carbs, carbs! But since then it's gotten much better and the cravings aren't as bad. However, I will tell you that I'm dreaming about chicken and cannot wait until Thursday when I can have it!

So what have I learned?

1- I am completely obsessed with food-- and my booty shows it! I think about it all the time. It's really ridiculous. And, since I can't eat anything I want now, I've not been thinking about it so much.
2- There really are very few veggie only recipes. Everything I've made has had a different name and different process, but ended up being veggies over rice.
3- It all works better if you exercise.
4- I come from a long line of food lovers-- dang genes.
5- I have a very very very tiny bladder!


And what are my goals?
1- I want to lose as much weight as possible. 5 lbs so far. YEAH ME!
2- Everyone has their weakness and mine is sweets... I tend to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I want to start thinking of sweets as a treat and eat cake for birthdays-- not lunch!
3- Continue to drink more water and exercise.
4- I plan to continue to eat a large portion of veggies every single day. They are actually quite good and fill you up.


They say that it takes 21 days to break habits, so I'm hoping that I can start looking at food as sustenance, rather than a hobby. I'll keep you posted!



Now on to the card-- a simple card today with a cute little masked chickie!
This is called a Criss-Cross card and you can find the directions here. For this card I used Summer Sun cardstock and layered designer paper from the Night and Day series on top. I made a belly band out of Summer Sun and did a scallop along the bottom with the Scallop Edge punch and added some narrow black grosgrain ribbon. For the insert I created a Whisper White card, layered on Basic Black. Then I stamped the little chick in Basic Black and colored it in with markers. The tab was punched out of Summer Sun cardstock and the greeting "Twick or Tweet" was stamped in Basic Black. I added three black brads on top of the tab and was finished. Enjoy!

No comments: